Thursday, April 28, 2005

Does Dubya Have a Nukyaler Option?

I've not written a lot about the impending use of the "nuclear option" to eliminate the filibuster during Senate debates over a few of Dubya's judicial nominees. Frankly, there is enough rank hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle on this one to drown the entire Congress several times over, so I have a hard time getting worked up about it. My initial thought that I had right after the election - that if the GOP can't muster five conservative Democratic votes on these nominees then the GOP might want to tell Dubya to reconsider - still stands. But, for a pretty good take on the looming nuclear exchange, check out this column from Reason, which concludes:

If the Democrats really think Janice Rogers Brown is a threat to the Republic, they ought to be willing to get hoarse-voiced and incoherent keeping her off the D.C. Circuit. And if Republicans are committed to these judges, they ought to be willing to sleep on cots in cloakrooms. For their salaries, perks, and power, the least they can do is give us a show.
That's why I keep C-Span in the rotation on my cable box.

No comments: