Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ima Crook, Esq.

The bane of every criminal defense attorney's existence is the "jailhouse lawyer," that guy in the joint who has too much time on his hands (don't they all?) who tells all his fellow cellmates exactly what they need to do to get out of prison and, in some cases, why their lawyers are complete jackasses. Over at CrimLaw, Ken writes an open letter to one such would-be-counsel. My favorite passage:.

The Uniform Commercial Code has nothing to do with your charge of assaulting a police officer. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. No, I won't be raising this issue during your trial. I know you'll try to explain to me why I should at least two or three more times, but I'm telling you right now I will not be relying on the UCC during your trial.
Why haven't I thought of that?

No comments: