Monday, June 26, 2006

Your World Champions . . . Uruguay?

A post over on the New York Times World Cup blog today mentions a sort of alternate World Championship that I read about a few months ago in Four Four Two. The Unofficial Football World Championships does away with the confusion tournament idea and imports the (to my mind) worst competitive element of boxing - if you beat the champ, you become the champ, regardless of anything else.

As the web site shows, the UFWC evolved from the first international match between Scotland and England played in 1872. It then changed hands anytime the the holders were beaten (friendlies included). As a result, such powers as Zimbabwe, Ireland, Romania, and Israel since 2000. It now rests with Uruguay, the initial winners of the World Cup (Uruguay failed to qualify for this World Cup, losing a two-leg playoff to Australia).

2 comments:

jedijawa said...

Shit dude, I can't believe that I got my own section added onto your blog. "Friend(s) of IR." Hey, wait a minute. Does that mean that I might start seeing traffic from those hippie, liberal, communist, atheistic, scurvy dog, libertarian, book readin', pinkos who frequent your page? I'm not saying it will be a problem, I'm just asking.

JD Byrne said...

Yes, I'm sure my throng of loyal readers will be beating down your virtual door any day now. All 2 or 3 of them. :)