Monday, October 01, 2007

Read a Banned Book!

Hoyt over at Donutbuzz beat me to the punch (that's what I get for taking weekends off!), noting that this is Banned Books Week. Here you can see the American Library Association's list of the 10 most challenged books in 2006, topped by And Tango Makes Three, by Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell. It apparently involves penguins, which are very popular. Unless they're gay, apparently. I can't say that I've read any of this year's top 10, sadly. However, it's noteworthy that perennial favorites The Catcher in the Rye, Of Mice and Men, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (all of which I've read, actually) have slipped off the list.

So, kids, read a naughty book! Don't let The Man or The Woman tell you what you can keep in your mind!

UPDATE: If you need a starting point for your banned book reading, check this list of the 100 most frequently challenged books between 1990 and 2000.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for noting it's Banned Books week! I've been so busy this week that I haven't had time to post all my favorites.

jedijawa said...

Banned books rule!