Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Lawyers In Love With Their Work

There are two abiding myths among the general public about lawyers. The first is that we do what we do mostly for money, while the second is that we're generally miserable while doing so. I suppose there's some karmic projection in those two misconceptions, but, thankfully they're incorrect. Not only do most attorneys not practice law only for the money, but 3 out of 4 of us are fairly happy with our jobs.

Speaking only for myself, I didn't go to law school because of the money and I certainly haven't practiced public interest law for the last five years to pad my bank account. I did it because I honestly enjoy the intellectual challenge that the practice of law brings on a daily basis. As for job satisfaction, definitely count me in the 75% who are happy with things. At least until the Blakely train comes off the rails.

No comments: