Monday, July 26, 2004

Where Have All the States Rightsers Gone?

As I've said many times in this space, the conversion of conservative Republicans from champions of states rights to devotes of Federal power - once they had the ability to wield it, of course. Slate.com has an interesting column about that very subject. It explains why conservatives, rather than embracing the Supreme Court's revamped federalism jurisprudence (starting with US v. Lopez), have run away from it every time they get the chance. While I'll admit that it's correct in pointing out that the conversion of liberal Democrats away from Federal power is equally two-faced, I think it too easily overlooks the "simple hypocrisy" argument.

1 comment:

Girl Ipsa said...

Slate always seems right leaning to me. For the record, I hate the "Well, they do it too" argument no matter who it is coming from. I guess that states rights were pretty good when that concept was a "means" to the desired end. But it is realy this end that the politicos are interested in. Who cares what the means so long as we get what we want in the end?