Friday, October 08, 2004

Let the Sox Win the Damn Series, OK?

I make this plea to any and all baseball teams and fans involved in the current MLB playoffs: for the love of all that is holy, just let the Red Sox win the damn World Series! I, and I expect the large minority of non-baseball people in this country, am sick and tired of hearing about the woes of the Sox every single year if the make the playoffs. So they haven't won the Series since 1918. Big deal! Lots of MLB teams have never won the Series, and several more, the White Sox and the Cubs spring to mind, also haven't won a Series since before the U.S. obtained superpower status. Other sports have teams in the same or similar situations. My alma mater, WVU, has been playing football for well over a century and have never won a national championship. There are throngs of English soccer clubs older than any MLB team that have never won anythying. Hell, Charlton won their first trophy in one hundred years last season in the Carling Cup!

I guess my point is this: Sox fans, shut the hell up about the Curse and all your bad luck and "woe is me, I'm a Sox fan" nonsense. You're not unique. Of course, that isn't likely to happen, so, please, Mr. Steinbrenner, let the Sox win this year.

No comments: