Friday, October 08, 2004

President Gropenfuher

The U.S. Constitution limits the pool of potential presidents to those folks that are "natural born" citizens. That excludes millions of citizens who came to this country sometime after their birth and actually took the trouble to become citizens. That group includes, of course, action-figure-turned-governor-of-California Arnold Schwarzenegger, which has motivated some Republicans to propose removing that limitation from the Constitution. Over on Findlaw, John Dean does a pretty good job of laying out why the limitation should be consigned to the dustbin of history. I can't really argue with him, but I wish this movement came about because of a principled desire to right an historical wrong, rather than for political expediency.

2 comments:

Traci Dolan said...

Excellent commentary and break-down on McGraw. Wish others were as informed and yes, if there is a God, please let the Sox win so they can call it a miracle and stop ruinin' my life!!!! And as far as "natural born" citizens, given the crop we've had to choose from in the past couple of years, let somebody else have a chance! I like your blog... nice to see another WV voice. Will have to peruse your archives.

Traci Dolan said...

Yikes! I just read your bio and realized this:

1. You may have gone to high school with one of my bosses.

2. You were in law school at WVU the same time he was.

3. He plays in a soccer league too.

I think I'll just slink back over to my blog now.