Tuesday, November 09, 2004

This Post 100% Written by a Human Being (No Type-Syncing)

The whole Ashlee Simpson lip-sync scandal died down while I was AWOL (sorry about that - moved), but I can't help but comment on one part of it. One of Ashlee's defenses was, basically, everybody does it so it's not that big of a deal. I've even read defenders going so far as to say that no pop / rock musicians really play all their stuff anymore, so we shouldn't take out our wrath on poor Ashlee. Well, I call "bullshit" on that. There are loads of real musicians and singers who go out every night and play and sing their hearts out without the aid of backing tracks or taped vocals. If you think I'm lying, get your head out of MTV or VH1 and go find some more unknown talent that produce really great (if commercially unviable) music. Go see Mike Keneally while he's out on tour, or check out new DVDs from people like echolyn and Marillion. I can guarantee you that Steve Hogarth doesn't need no stinking backing tape to belt out the conclusion of "The Invisible Man."

No comments: