Thursday, February 15, 2007

Album of the Day

The Crane Wife, by The Decemberists (2006): Two months ago, I'd never heard of this band. Then, suddenly, they were everywhere. This album was all over the various "best of" lists for The Onion AV Club, with mentions of the "p word" - progressive rock - that you usually don't find in mainstream music reviews. Then I found a review of the album at the Dutch Progressive Rock Page that was equally glowing. My curiosity piqued, I picked the album up at Borders next time I was there. And, while I wouldn't have put it on the top of my best of 2006 list, it's very very good, particularly the title tracks (three of them spread over 2 parts of the disc), the 12-minute "The Island - Come and See - The Landlord's Daughter - You'll Not Feel the Drowning," and "When the War Came." Arty pop all the way through.

3 comments:

larryosaurus said...

Whaaa?!? No way are The Decemberists prog-rock! Artsy sure, but prog? I gotta disagree. But otherwise, I'm just excited because I'm familiar with (and like) one of the bands you talk about on here :)

Anyway be sure to check out the song "A Soldering Life"... it's one of my favorites.

bwu said...

Jon, I'd recommend any of their earlier albums - "Picaresque," "Her Majesty the Decemberists," and "Castaways and Cutouts" - as well. In fact I think "The Crane Wife" is my least favorite of the four.

I reviewed this one at G&S too, more thoughts there...

http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=td-tcw

JD Byrne said...

I'm with you Jackie - I wouldn't dump them in the prog ghetto. On the other hand, as Brandon points out in his review, there's a lot there to push the prog fan's buttons.