Monday, February 19, 2007

Mitt Romney Says I Can't Be President

I've switched over to CNN's The Situation Room for a second to see a piece on GOP Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney. Romney's religion - he's a Mormon - is shaping up to be a major issue in his primary campaign. On the show, we have a video clip of Romney responding to a heckler at a weekend appearance. The heckler says to Romney "you're a pretender . . . you do not know da Lord."* To which, Romney responds, after chuckling good naturedly:

Let me offer just a thought, and that is - One of the great things about this great land is we have people of different faiths and different persuasions. And, uh, I'm convinced that the nation does need to have people of different faiths, but we need to have a person of faith lead the country.
Well, gee, I guess I'll just have to disband my nascent Presidential exploratory committee, won't I? Although I'm not a Republican and have no real right to barge into their primary, I was set to defend him against the attacks from other religionists who for some reason claim Mormonism is too goofy than their own peculiar mythology. The central tenets of Mormonism are no loopier than any other sect, after all.

But you know what, Mitt, buddy - you're on your own. As a smart Mormon kid on TV once said, "you've got a lot of growing up to to do, buddy. Suck my balls."

UPDATE: Here is a news story about the event from the Lakeland (Florida) Ledger. And here at Crooks and Liars, you can see the video of the event.

* Listen to the clip - it sounds like the heckler is a Superfan! This exchange happened at approximately 4:33 pm on the East Coast. I'll throw up a link if I find it online somewhere.

1 comment:

Big Jay said...

You know... give him a break. He's got a lot of hard work to do walking the tightrope through the GOP primary. You won't find any instance of Romney discriminating against atheists. Don't buy too much into that comment.