Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Why I Like Harry Potter

I've not read one word of the Harry Potter books. I've seen only one of the films. I'm not trying to be smug about it or anything, they're just not my cup of tea. But I like the books on principle, for one simple reason. As Dave over at Orcinus points out:

my enjoyment of the books is enhanced by the knowledge that it also drives the fundamentalist right nuts. Ever since the books gained great popularity, they've been on the warpath against Harry Potter, as you can see from the excerpt from Jesus Camp above, in which we see the head of the camp telling children that Potter should be put to death.
Meanwhile, CLS over at Classically Liberal catalogs a whole load of fundie fatwas against Harry Potter. Any work of art that whips the thumpers into such a frenzy is OK in my book!

1 comment:

jedijawa said...

You know, I also like J.K. Rowling's I don't give a fuck what you think about my stories attitude toward that level of criticism. I have to give her major kudos for that.