Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Can The Republic Survive? Vote Now!

A disclaimer up front: I do not have, nor have I ever had, any use whatsoever for American Idol. Kudos, I suppose, to Fox for developing a "reality" TV hit that doesn't involve massive plastic surgery or eating horse rectum, but that's damning with faint praise. The show has always been about which of the singers can capture the popular attention and grab the top prize. The judges, as I understand it, are out of it at this point. It's up to you (certainly not me), the viewer. So why the hue and cry now that, all of a sudden, the voters are kicking off the "talented" contestants? This crisis rates not one but two articles in USA Today. Wake up, ya' idiots - it's always been a popularity contest. If it wasn't, someone with actual musical talent (as opposed to skilled karaokeists) might make waves on the show. Until something like that happens, count me as bemused and reaching for the remote.

No comments: