Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I Never Liked Katrina (or the Waves)

By definition, any natural disaster is a hideous thing, regardless of where, when, or to whom is happens. And Katrina certainly fits the bill. And while my heart goes out to everybody on the Gulf Coast, there's an extra bit of hurt in the pit of my stomach for the city and people of New Orleans. I've been the Big Easy several times and it's one of my favorite places. It's unique blend of cultures and history make it the most interesting city in the country, if not the hemisphere. The best place to keep up to date on the unfolding situation in New Orleans is the website of The Times-Picayune, which is substituting for the print edition while the city is under water.

And, of course, it should go without saying that everyone on the Gulf is going to need lots of assistance from groups like the Red Cross. You can donate to the relief efforts here.

No comments: