Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Album of Yesterday

Lex Rex, by Glass Hammer (2002): Glass Hammer is sort of a prog Steely Dan - basically two guys in the "band" who do all the writing and most of the playing/vocals, with help from a semi-regular cast of guests. I decided to check the band out after hearing raves following their performance at NEARFest a couple of years ago. Lex Rex was the current album at the time and, from what I've read, pretty indicative of their stuff. And for what it is, it is very good. That is, this is absolutely traditional break no new ground symphonic prog. In fact, they remind me a little of an American version of The Flower Kings with slightly better lyrics. Speaking of lyrics, as the Ground and Sky reviewers mention, there is a very discernible Christian theme to the lyrics on this disc, but I wasn't put off by that. I'm a little bit more weirded out that the keyboard player is a dead ring for Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons, but that's just me.

No comments: