Friday, June 02, 2006

Album of the Day

Live in America, by Transatlantic (2002): I was late coming to the Transatlantic party, only picking up their second album, Bridge Across Forever, when I found it in a local store and had a gift certificate to burn. I enjoyed it more than I thought it would, and based on the Live in Europe DVD from the ensuing tour figured that I'd like the stuff on the first album, too. Rather than pick that one up, however, I went for this 2-disc live set from the band's first tour. Aside from one cover tune, it's got all of the first album, plus some interesting covers and such. Unfortunately, it's fairly evident that the band was not well rehearsed by the time of this tour, and the material suffers for it in spots - particularly the vocal harmonies. Still, the Transatlantic tunes are good enough, and the four-tune medley at the end that incorporates tunes from each of the band members' "day jobs" is a bit different (note to Marillion - don't dump H anytime soon!).

No comments: