Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I'm Not as Think as You Drunk I Am, Your Honor

I know that sometimes being a criminal defense attorney can drive one to drink (or drink more, in some cases), but you shouldn't really show up for court after a bender. The judge might notice when you come to court slurring words:

[Joseph] Caramango, 41, acknowledged in court that he was drinking the previous night, but maintained he was not drunk.* If convicted, his client faces life in prison.
Thankfully, the judge declared a mistrial, although I'm not so sure this is evidence of intoxication:
'I don't think you can tell a straight story because you are intoxicated,' the judge told [] Caramango as she declared a mistrial for his client.
Since when is that a flaw in a defense attorney?

* That, of course, is Albert Collins's famous "I Ain't Drunk, I'm Just Litigatin'" defense.

No comments: