Thursday, April 12, 2007

Album of the Day

Marbles, by Marillion (2004): With the release of the new Marillion album, Somewhere Else, a few weeks away (it's already out in Europe - to mixed reviews, sadly), it makes sense to look back at the band's last effort. I have the special 2-disc version, so I got the whole Marbles experience. If the album had some weak spots when I first heard it, the whole of it has really grown on me. The early favs - "The Invisible Man," "Fantastic Place," and "Ocean Cloud" - haven't lost their luster, while even the things that didn't really hit me back then I've warmed up to. I've learned to love the end of "Neverland," the hit (believe it or not) single "You're Gone," and, of all things, "Angelina." So I guess the lesson here is when it comes time to check out Somewhere Else, give it some time to grow.

No comments: