Monday, April 30, 2007

Albums of Last Thursday and Friday

Post-vacation hangover got the better of me last week, hence no blogging on Thursday or Friday. I was still churning through tunes, however, like these:

  • Thursday - Pathways, by California Guitar Trio (1998): CGT is a trio of Bob Fripp Guitar Craft disciples who perform an unique and skillful blend of different styles. There's classical adaptations ("Allegro con brio" from Beethoven's Fifth and two parts of Moonlight Sonata), odd pop covers ("Misirlou" anyone?), and originals. On a few tracks they're joined by some soprano sax and Warr guitar frosting to mix things up. I still can't say that this album sets my soul on fire, but I am pleasantly surprised to see they'll be in Charleston this Sunday and may check out the live show.
  • Friday - Playtime, by National Health (2001): This live album is the only documentation of the final active form of these classic Canterbury proggers. From the lineup that produced the brilliant Of Queues and Cures, keyboardist Dave Stewart is gone, replaced by band co-founder Alan Gowen. It's not surprising, then, to see Gilgamesh's "Play Time" make an appearance, as does "Flanagan's People," which would get the studio treatment on the posthumous D.S. al Coda. I find a lot of what goes on here interesting, but not particularly compelling. It's a bit raw and tends to wander a bit. But when it locks in, as in Phil Miller's "Nowadays a Silhouette," it's great stuff. Not my favorite National Health disc, but one well worth having.
Album of the Day entries will probably be a little light this week as I work through a clutch of albums that either just came out or I just acquired. That includes the new Porcupine Tree, Rush (out tomorrow!), and (if I can find it) Marillion discs, the reissues of the first two Mike Keneally albums, and a couple other things I picked up this weekend (by accident, honest).

No comments: