Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fresh Tunes - a Twofer!

Aside from a leftover quasi-classical thing, it's been a while since I uploaded some new tunes. No doubt there's a portion of you who thought, "thank fuck that's over . . ." as the weeks passed. Well, sorry.

For the (admittedly smaller) portion of you who actually listen to these things (if even just for a laugh), here's why. After I got the Micron in the spring, it took a while to figure it all out and get my recording setup working with it. Over the weeks, I ended up with no complete tunes, but lots of little bits here and there I'd whipped up. I've started methodically working through those to "finish" them up as best I can. Here are the first couple of results of that plan.

First up is something that had laid around for a while before I finished it up in July, then it took me another month to getting around to mixing it. "At the Edge of the World" is an attempt a minimalism, I guess. It's slow, sparse, and longish (just under 10 minutes). Not exactly a drop the top crank it up driving tune, if you get my drift. It's mostly loops, with a little bit of piano and synth (M1) flavoring.

The other one is "Puppeteering the Stumps" and is more typical of the stuff I usually do (and about half as long). In addition to a couple of old favs (MTron and Minimoog), this marks the recording debut of the Micron. It contributed a lead and a pattern in the second bit. The title comes from a line in Guy Maddin's weird but excellent The Saddest Music in the World, which would be a much more accurate description of "At the Edge . . .," come to think of it.

As always, you can't beat the price - enjoy!

No comments: