Tuesday, June 24, 2008

New, But Not Really Fresh, Tunage

It's been forever since I uploaded new music to ACIDPlanet, but I finally got around to doing a bit of laptop cleaning today and had something that was more complete than I thought it was.

Back in 2006, one of the weekly 8 packs that Sony releases included a couple of orchestral loops. I used them in this track and figured it might be cool to have more, so I bought one of Sony's orchestral collections. Once I dug into it, I had the bright idea to try and piece together a piece of "real" music, as opposed to the electronic stuff I'd been gravitating towards. Yeah, well, it was a nice plan. Turned out to be much harder than I figured to match up loops from different projects into something cohesive. So I started this project and got it to the point where it sounded OK, but walked away from it. Since I was cleaning those loops off the hard drive to make room for new ones, I decided to push it out, as is.

It's called "Spam Suite," made up of three sections (there were originally supposed to be four) with titles taken directly from Spam emails I received. Honestly, I could not make these up:

  1. The Financier Was a Tasty Little Minimuffin - 2:01
  2. Avarice Wallpaper - 4:38
  3. Parasite Transcendent - 3:37
The first bit is upbeat and festive, the second a little more somber and reflective. "Parasite Transcendent" is my favorite bit, although there's no way I could get the ending the way I heard it in my head using just loops. Everything in this track comes from loops, except for a little M-Tron clarinet in the second part.

Enjoy - you still can't beat the price!

2 comments:

Paul said...

I'm diggin' it! The first movement is like a demented twist on John Williams' conversation with the mothership from the Close Encounters soundtrack.

Very good arrangements.

JD Byrne said...

Thanks, Red! I like demented twists.