Monday, March 16, 2009

Fuck, I Am Old!

Well, this is a fine how do you do. I knew that my sexual peak passed long ago, but my mind is already on the slip?

Mental powers start to dwindle at 27 after peaking at 22, marking the start of old age, US research suggests.

Professor Timothy Salthouse of Virginia University found reasoning, speed of thought and spatial visualisation all decline in our late 20s.
That's great. I spent my golden mental years in law school! What a waste.

But, wait a sec, maybe it isn't that bad:
The first age at which there was any marked decline was at 27 in tests of brain speed, reasoning and visual puzzle-solving ability.

Things like memory stayed intact until the age of 37, on average, while abilities based on accumulated knowledge, such as performance on tests of vocabulary or general information, increased until the age of 60.
So, apparently, I've got less than 24 months before I start getting forgetful, but I'll be in prime Jeopardy form for decades to come. That's a relief!

No comments: