Friday, May 22, 2009

Album of the Day

Ignis Fatuus, by White Willow (1995): I tend to buy CDs in batches. When I do, sometimes one of them will get a little lost in the shuffle. While others either reach out and grab me at first listen, or turn me off, the lost ones register a "nice" and get shuffled to the bottom of the deck. This Norwegian band's debut album is one of the dozen or so new albums I brought home from 3RP last year. On the first few listens, it was "nice," but not particularly noteworthy. Returning to it over the past year, it's really grown on me, particularly if I'm in the right mood. The music is dark and folky, with lots of atmosphere. The vibe I get is that this would be the perfect album to listen to while curled up by a roaring fire in a cottage on a bluff overlooking the North Sea. If you catch my drift.

No comments: