Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Album of the Day

Squirrel Nut Zippers: The Inevitable. Thanks to the gift-giving of my college room mate, I own not one but four Zippers albums. I'm not sure I can point to any one being better than the others, but that's not a bad thing. The band broke at the same time as the neo-swing thing was going on, and they got lumped in with that bunch more than often. Which is not really accurate, as the Zippers are more steeped in 1920s and 30s pop and jazz than true "big band" music. So they have horns, big deal (I wouldn't call Zappa's 88 band a "swing" band, would you?). Besides, the Zippers show a modern lyrical style that alternately clashes and seamlessly melds with their retro sound. Plus how can you not like a band that has a tune called "Lugubrious Whing Whang"?

No comments: