Friday, May 06, 2005

Album of the Day

Human Interest Story, by 3rDegree (1996): I got this album used from someone on the Net (along with Kevin Gilbert’s Thud). So I was surprised that a little while after I posted my review of this disc, I got an Email from the band’s bass player, songwriter, etc. asking were I’d gotten the disc. Turns out that the band had ceased to exist and you could only get new copies of the album directly from him. Whoops. He didn’t seem pissed at the lost revenue, however, and we had a good Email chat about music and the biz (he’s a big Gilbert fan, oddly – didn’t say much about the taste of the seller of these discs). Musically, this album treads a fine line between prog and rock, and was (I’m paraphrasing the guy from the band I talked to here) too weird for the mainstream but not weird enough for the prog scene. Which is too bad, ‘cause there’s lots of good stuff going on.

No comments: