Thursday, May 12, 2005

Album of the Day

Sluggo!, by Mike Keneally & Beer for Dolphins (1997): Another of those great discs of 97, this was my first exposure to Keneally as a solo artist. I was blown away (had my head ripped of, in Kenally terms) and continue to be to this day. Sluggo! is a pretty good snapshot of what Mike can do, from super-catchy rock tunes ("Potato," Voyage to Manhood," "Why Am I Your Guy?"), extended instrumentals ("I, Drum Running, Am Clapboard Bound," "Cardboard Dog"), gentler things ("I'm Afraid"), plain weirdness ("Looking for Nina," "Egg Zooming") and even a solo piano piece ("Sluggo"). This is not the full band effort the name implies - it's still very much a product of Mike's own two hands.

1 comment:

AlmstHvn said...

Keneally is the best ever. Do you have his new(er) CD, "Dog"?