Wednesday, June 22, 2005

100 Years, 100 Specials

The folks at the American Film Institute have apparently decided to corner the market on "100 best" lists, checking in last night with the top 100 film quotes. The top? "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," from Gone With the Wind. I'm pleased to see several of my favorites on the list, from A Few Good Men ("You can't handle the truth!") and Dr. Strangelove ("Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"). But, of course, no list like this would be complete with some bitching on my part. Some overlooked gems:

  • "Care for a little necrophilia? Hmmm?" and "He's got away from us, Jack." from Brazil.
  • "I've met him. I wouldn't piss on him if his heart was on fire." Sid Hatfield, describing the owner of the Baldwin-Phelps agency in Matewan.
  • Along the same lines, "Goddammit, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good!" from War Games.
  • The whole "Alms for an ex-leper!" bit from The Life of Brian, in which Jesus is described as a "bloody do-gooder." Oh, and "where's the fetus gonna gestate? In a box?"
  • "I don't swear for the hell of it. Language is a poor enough means of communication. We've got to use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words anybody understands." from Inherit the Wind.
Then, of course, there are literally dozens from Kevin Smith flicks. I'll limit myself to three.
  • "You think the average Storm Trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All the know is killing and white uniforms." from Clerks.
  • Call: "I'm just, ahh... just havin' a little girl trouble." Response: "Bitch pressin' charges? I get that a lot." from Chasing Amy. Also, Hooper's entire rant on the racist overtones of Star Wars (including Bannky's "what's a Nubian?").
  • "Any moron with a pack of matches can set a fire. Raining down sulphur is like an endurance trial man. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer." from Dogma.
Feel free to add your own in the comments.

No comments: