Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Talk About Fan Loyalty

OK, you're on a plane traveling to Chile to watch your U-17 national team compete in the FIFA U-17 World Championships. The only problem is that you're running a bit late and it looks like you'll miss kickoff. What do you do? Well, one option would be to fake an emergency to justify a landing near the stadium where the game is being played. That's what a charter jet carrying 289 Gambian fans did yesterday. The good news? Gambia beat Qatar 3-1. The bad news? The plane is still in custody while authorities consider how best to penalize the airline, Air Rum (I am absolutely not making that up).

1 comment:

KULA said...

Hey, I blogged about that too. I think this is the kind of passion we lack for sports, in general, in this country. Sports here have become a matter of money and trades and less about the sports. Of course, I don't completely condone faking an emergency landing for a soccer match. But I would love to fly Air Rum.