Friday, April 14, 2006

Album of Yesterday

Drastic Measures, by Michael Manring (1991): Several years ago I was in a local mall CD store trying to burn a gift certificate. For whatever reason, I started pawing through a rack of cutouts and made some amazing finds. One of them was this album. The only thing I knew about Manring before that was that he was an amazing bass player. This album does nothing to change my mind. While some of the tracks linger a little too closely to light jazzak for my tastes, there are several really cool cuts, particularly the ones that are truly just a man and his bass(es).

1 comment:

Woof said...

You do have Thonk, of course? I was very lucky enough to see him open for, then play with Michael Hedges at an outdoor concert in '94. I was more easily technically impressed back then, and I don't want to sound like a 15 y.o. with my first real guitar, but it was a bit cool to see him play three basses--melodically--at once.

Them was the good 'ol days, though. You wanted three basses on a track, you had to play 'em all at the same time!