Thursday, May 17, 2007

Album of the Day

Songs from the Big Chair, by Tears for Fears (1985): Ah, the power of a well-timed review. After I read the linked review of this album on USENET, I went out and picked up a copy. I knew a lot of the tunes from the radio & MTV back in the day, but never figured to buy it. I'm glad I did, as it's a real gem of intelligent 80s pop. There's even some prog cred to it, with appearances by saxist Mel Collins (King Crimson, Camel) and drummer Jerry Marotta (Peter Gabriel). And, sadly, "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" always reminds me of the good ol' days when Dennis Miller was actually funny.

1 comment:

Christopher Scott Jones said...

It did kind of seem that making fun of zany pics of those in power between 1985 and 1998 was all he really had going for him.