Friday, September 14, 2007

Am I Missing Something?

I'm not just a lawyer - my first degree was in history, which has always been a passion of mine. When history and law converge, look out - I generally know my stuff. Which is why this web site (via Pharyngula) really confuses me. Here is the "service" the provide:

Marry Our Daughter is an introduction service assisting those following the Biblical tradition of arranging marriages for their daughters.

Those who wish to list their Daughters with our site should click on SIGN UP OUR DAUGHTER on our main page for a form to fill out.

Those who wish to propose to a specific Daughter should click on the PROPOSE button on the Daughter’s INFO CARD.
As creepy as that is, it doesn't get to the bottom line - that these "brides" can all be had for a price. The victims on the front page as I view it now have "Bride Prices" of $27,995; $37,500; $49,995; $24,995; and $19,995 (a bargain basement bride, apparently).

Now, my legal history is shaky sometimes, but didn't this country pass a Constitutional Amendment after a bloody and divisive Civil War to outlaw the sale of human beings?

I don't doubt this comes from "Biblical tradition" - lots of heinous practices do. What do you say we just chuck the whole damn thing and start from scratch?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who says money can't buy you love? This testimonial says it all:
"Getting out of the trailer park at our age was the best thing that ever happened to us, and it’s all thanks to Marry Our Daughter!"