Thursday, February 26, 2009

Stop the Bleeding!

After six weeks on the shelf (actually the dining room table), I'm back to work on the novel. Last year was the fun part, the making shit up and getting it all out of my head bit. Now comes the stuff that's kind of like work - editing.

I'm no stranger to editing my writing, evidence of screw ups here on the Ranch to the contrary. I self edit my briefs at work and my coworkers are more than willing to wield the red pen, too. And I read quite a bit about editing before starting in on it this week and absorbed the teachings. First drafts suck, particularly for first novels. You have to be vicious with your own work and characters. There can be no fear as you plunge forward and destroy in order to rebuild.

OK, I get all that, but . . . damn, I put down a lot of red on the pages! That's a good thing, I know, but it's a little disheartening. I guess I'll really be in trouble if I get through to editing a second draft and still shed so much blood. Wish me luck!

No comments: