Tuesday, October 02, 2007

More on Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Thanks to a pointer from Allclick on the WV Blogger's forum I can pass along this interesting interview with director Ridley Scott about the forthcoming Blade Runner rerelease. I didn't realize how clipped Scott's initial vision had been by the studio:

Fresh off his second successful movie, an up-and-coming director takes a chance on a dark tale of a 21st-century cop who hunts humanlike androids. But he runs over budget, and the financiers take control, forcing him to add a ham-fisted voice-over and an absurdly cheery ending. The public doesn't buy it. The director's masterpiece plays to near-empty theaters, ultimately retreating to the art-house circuit as a cult oddity.
Reminds me an awful lot of Terry Gilliam's Brazil, another one of my favorite films (largely due to the battle Gilliam waged to get his version of it into theaters).

1 comment:

jedijawa said...

I finally tracked down a dvd copy of the version with the voiceover having seen it only once a long time ago on VHS. I like the Director's Cut much better.