Monday, October 29, 2007

Why I'm Not a Millionaire

Yesterday's New York Times had a cover story about young millionaires and the stories of their success. One of them, Max Levchin, made a mint when eBay purchased PayPal. And that was a problem:

He thought he would spend the time after the sale 'exploring my inner self.' Instead, he spent the better part of 12 months 'feeling worthless and stupid' and baffled by what he might do with the remainder of his life. He felt too young to retire or downshift a gear or two — and too restless to become a philanthropist.

'I enjoy sitting on nice beaches and hanging out with my girlfriend and playing with my dog, but that’s three hours a day,' Mr. Levchin said. 'What about the remaining 18 hours I’m awake?'
Two things come to mind. First - holy shit, he only sleeps three hours a day?!? Second - although I love my job and career, if I fell into some money I wouldn't have any problem spending hours on the beach with the girlfriend and the dog (I wonder if the Levchin's girlfriend and dog hung around for their hour-a-day for very long).

I guess my ambitions aren't properly tuned for generating wealth. Oh well.

2 comments:

jedijawa said...

The sleeping three hours is probably what got him that millionaire status in the first place.

Spike Nesmith said...

Waaaah. Poor little millionaire.

I WISH my problems ended with boredom. If this whiney douchebag doesn't know what to do with himself, maybe he should give his millions to me and he can have a grand old time figuring out how *he* can make ends meet enough to stay alive.

What an arsehole.