Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Time to Raise the Cap

OK, it's officially time for Major League Soccer to give a serious bump to the salary cap - a player has found the priesthood to be a suitable alternative to a pro soccer career:

Hilgenbrinck accepted the calling on Monday when he left the New England Revolution and retired from professional soccer to enter a seminary, where he will spend the next six years studying theology and philosophy so he can be ordained as a Roman Catholic priest.

'It's not that I'm ready to leave soccer. I still have a great passion for the game,' he said in a telephone interview. 'I wouldn't leave the game for just any other job. I'm moving on for the Lord. I want to do the will of the Lord, I want to do what he wants for me, not what I want to do for myself.'
Of course, it goes without saying that even Steve Nichol has a hard time competing with God for talent.

No comments: