Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Album of the Day

Certifiable: Live in Buenos Aries, by The Police (2008): I'm not sure if this really qualifies as an "album," per se, as much as a couple of bonus discs from a concert DVD. Originally available exclusively from Best Buy, Certifiable was a 2DVD (one for the concert and one for the inevitable behind the scenes doc) and 2CD set covering a concert from the band's reunion tour recorded at River Plate's stadium in Argentina. I was bummed that The Police never got close enough for me to check out this tour, as I'd heard good things about it from the beginning and this document doesn't disappoint. The guys showed an admirable desire to mix things up by folding, spindling, and mutilating some old favorites. The playing's tight (for the most part) and, amazingly enough, everybody looks like they're having fun. I'm sure it was all temporary, though, or it just wouldn't be The Police.

No comments: