Thursday, August 06, 2009

Album of the Day

The Great Deceiver: Live 1973-1974, by King Crimson (1992): For years, I couldn't get all that excited about the copious amount of live material out there documenting the last of the 1970s version of King Crimson. Although I love Red, the Bruford/Wetton/Cross/Fripp lineup's focus on live improv didn't excite me. It wasn't until I picked up USA that I really got curious. So when I got a chance to pick up these four discs (now available in two two-disc sets) I did it.

Although this lineup could really cook when on their game, I have to say that four hours and 15 minutes of live Crim is a little more than I can take in one sitting. Some of the improvs shine, but others don't really do all that much and there's just enough repetition in the other material to be annoying. Don't get me wrong - if you're at all a Crim head, you need this set. If not, you can probably make due with USA.

And with that, ladies and gentlemen, we come to the end of the 2009 version of the A to Z Album of the Day project. This year covered 799 albums spanning 897 CDs and running 34 days, 7 hours, 1 minute, and 18 seconds. And that doesn't even include what I'll pick up at 3RP this weekend. Until next year!

No comments: