Saturday, September 12, 2009

Well, That Sucks

The engine that drove one of my favorite bands has been forced into retirement:

Phil Collins today revealed he will never drum again because he is suffering from a painful spine injury.

The former Genesis star can't even hold his sticks after years of sitting in front of a drumkit.

'My vertebrae have been crushing my spinal cord because of the position I drum in.

It comes from years of playing. I can't even hold the sticks properly without it being painful, I even used to tape the sticks to my hands to get through.'
For all the crap that Phil gets (rightly or wrongly) from fans of old school Genesis for his pop success and the band's later years, you can't deny that he was a monster drummer. Listen to the old Genesis albums, his work with Brand X, or any of the numerous quasi-session gigs he's done and see for yourself.

No comments: