Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Paper or Plastic?

I just cast my vote for this mid-term election cycle and had an interesting experience. At my polling place, I was given the choice between an old-fashioned paper ballot (read by optical scanner) and a touch-screen ballot. Given all the problems with the electronic voting things today (and before), I went with paper. The poll workers thought that the paper would eventually go away, but they weren't sure when.

Anybody else have a similar experience?

3 comments:

Donutbuzz said...

At my precinct in Huntington, I had to use the electronic voting machine. I think I prefer the paper, too.

Ruth said...

I'm not sure which I would take. By state law, we previously used the electronic push-button variety (not touch screens). Now, by a new state law, we use the optical scanner paper one. The bubbles to fill in reminded me too much of the bar exam for me to like it.

Anonymous said...

I've voted the last two times with a touch screen voting system where you can see a paper backup (but can't touch it) that gets cast with your electronic vote. This seems to be a good alternative but I just don't know for sure.

We don't get the choice of paper ballots unless we vote absentee and I just haven't wanted to do that yet.