Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Ugly Side of the Beautiful Game

Today's New York Times has a depressing article about violent groups of soccer fans called "ultras" that are a fairly large problem all over Europe. The article focuses on groups in France, particularly those related to Paris St-Germain (whose only common thread, it seems, is that they support the same team). While the American stereotype of all Euro soccer fans as hooligans doesn't fit fans as a whole, the ultras are problematic. That's what happens when a sport can plays such a great roll in the lives of its fans. Which is why sometimes I'm glad soccer in the United States is still a second-tier sport.

2 comments:

Christopher Scott Jones said...

Yea, I'm a Browns fan and I hate the Steelers, but I have friends that root for them. I couldn't imagine beating someone with a lead pipe just for liking the wrong team.

AustinDefense said...

"I couldn't imagine beating someone with a lead pipe just for liking the wrong team"

...and you call yourself a Browns fan

:)