Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Album of the Day

A Trick of the Tail, by Genesis (1976): I picked up a cheap poster of the cover art for Trick off of Amazon a while back. I finally got around to taking it to get framed this weekend, which, unfortunately, is not so cheap. In the process, the girlfriend asked what the big deal was - the artwork wasn't very good, after all. My answer was that it was because of what it represented, one of my favorite Genesis albums. Why is that? Just about everything on this album works and works really well and there are several bits that are unique in the Genesis catalog - the spooky Mellotron & synth coda to "Entangled," the extended piano work in "Mad Man Moon," not to mention the thumping instrumental closer "Los Endos." Besides, it's the only album I own that actually deals with appellate practice:

If they try to hold me for trial
I'll stay out of jail by paying my bail
And after I'll go to the court of appeal saying
'You've done me wrong, it's the same old song forever.'
All that and a kick ass synth solo to boot!

No comments: