Thursday, June 07, 2007

Green Guitars - Not Just for Hippie Folk Singers Anymore

Today's New York Times has an interesting article about a coalition of guitar makers trying to find a way to manage the kind of exotic timber resources that make good instruments. The companies - Martin, Taylor, Fender, and Gibson - have joined up with Greenpeace to try and create sustainable resources from which they can build guitars. As the current head of the Martin clan puts it:

'If I use up all the good wood, I’m out of business,' Mr. Martin said. 'I have a 2-year-old daughter, Claire Frances Martin, and she can be the seventh generation C. F. Martin. I want her to be able to get materials she’ll need, just as my ancestors and I have over the past 174 years.'
That goes to show that enlightened self interest is what will save the environment. Nothing else.

No comments: