Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Album of the Day

Yoshimi Battles the Plastic Robots, by The Flaming Lips (2002): When this album first came out, I was vaguely aware of the hype about it that Brandon describes in the Ground & Sky review. Having never heard the band, I wasn't particularly compelled to pick it up. Lots of albums that don't interest me get lots of praise, after all. But, last year, for some reason, I saw the album in Borders and decided to pick it up. Five years on, it's hard for me to join in Brandon's assessment that it's overrated, but I enjoy it a great deal. Maybe it's because the band uses some of the loop and noise generation technology I do (much more skillfully than I, let me say) and that's a hook to get me in. I dunno. I suppose I enjoy the "overproduced, nebulous blur" that Brandon laments.

UPDATE: As Jackie points out, the name of the album is actually Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. The IR staffer responsible for the error has been flogged and sent to Gitmo.

3 comments:

larryosaurus said...

It's "Pink Robots" JDB, "Pink Robots." Jeez... :D

larryosaurus said...

...and it's one of my favorites.

JD Byrne said...

Yeah, but wait until you hear Plastic Robots - it'll blow your mind. :p