Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I'm In Thrall to the Speeerit!

I've been in the studio the past couple of days working on a new tune. Yesterday, I got to a stopping point that slowly, this afternoon, turned into a brick wall. After a bit of cursing, pacing, and drinking (Diet Coke - don't worry), I had one of those "eureka!" moments and quickly progressed into the meat of this track. All of a sudden I'm whipping up loops from scratch and laying down keyboard parts like I kind of know what I'm doing. At least I didn't start speaking in tongues!

It's amazing how those kinds of breakthroughs can work. Reminds me of a short story I blogged about last year that argued, essentially, that artists don't actually create anything, they just discover what's out there in the ether. Maybe there's something to that.

No comments: