Friday, January 23, 2009

Album of the Day

Inuit, by Armonite (1999): Back when I regularly wrote album reviews, I had a few bands contact me and ask to send me a copy of an album to check out. This Italian band was one of them, so I ended up with a CD-R of their first (and apparently only) album. I never got around to reviewing it, as it showed up about the time I became disillusioned with the whole process.

It's a shame the band didn't make it further than this album, because they had some distinctiveness going for them. The band lineup includes a pair of violinists, bass, drums, and keyboards (piano mostly). Except for the medieval sounding choral bits that bookend the disc, the music is all instrumental. It's good, solid, melodic prog, with some nice dual violin work and good background atmospherics. It rarely jumps out and grabs you, but it doesn't really sound like anything else in my collection.

No comments: