Monday, January 12, 2009

Things You Learn on Wikipedia

Often I see something in a movie or on TV that I know nothing or little about (it happens - work with me) I hop over to Wikipedia to get some background. A couple of weeks ago, a movie the girlfriend and I were half-watching on TV had a scene that involved a "Punch & Judy" show.

Knowing the term, but knowing nothing about it (and knowing that a song of that title was the first single off of Marillion's Fugazi), I looked it up when it came back to mind (i.e., right now). The Wiki entry is pretty detailed and interesting, and contained this bit that made me laugh my ass off:

The stereotypical view of Punch casts him as a deformed, child-murdering, wife-beating psychopath who commits appalling acts of violence and cruelty upon all those around him and escapes with impunity; this is greatly enjoyed by small children.
Really? No wonder little kids freak me out - they're a bunch of little sadists who get off on watching others get hurt!

No comments: