Thursday, January 29, 2004

Does Anybody Actually "Parent" Anymore?

USA Today reports today about the growing battle over violent video games. The specific target of contempt at this moment is the Grand Theft Auto series, which takes the whole "shoot 'em up" genre one step further by letting the player be the bad guys (I think - I've never tried it). Buried in the story is the stat that 90% of games are bought by adults, not kids. Which makes sense, given that a new Xbox game costs about $50. I certainly didn't have that kind of cash to throw around as a kid - hell, I had to take days to convince myself to spend that kind of cash on the 2004 version of FIFA Soccer!

The point is - where are the parents in all this? It looks like, for the most part, they are the ones buying the games that their kids play. If so, then let's keep the courts and the government out of it and leave the policing of these games to the parents.

No comments: