Thursday, January 15, 2004

Taking the Party Back From the "Centrists"

USA Today has an article today detailing the potential rift in the Democratic Party between the remaining Clinton-influenced centrists and the more liberal wing, as epitomized by Howard Dean. While I voted for Clinton twice, I admit that he was way to far to the right for my tastes. Oval Office blow jobs aside, the man presided over a potentially disastrous welfare overhaul and the largest expansion of the Federal death penalty in history. All this in the name of beating the GOP by co-opting its issues. If that's "Democratic" then why on Earth do we need Republicans?

I've still not decided what I think about Dean (or any of the other hopefuls). I will say this for him, tho' - he's not afraid to actually be a Democrat. Unlike, say, Joe Lieberman. In the end, as a Democrat I'd rather put ourselves out there as we really are and get the snot kicked out of us rather than win at all costs.

No comments: