Tuesday, January 13, 2004

This Means Something

Frequently, the best hint that you're doing something wrong is when someone who should support you goes the other way. Such is the case with the whole detainee situation at Guantanamo Bay, as the Washington Post is reporting that Pentagon JAG lawyers are filing a friend-of-the-court brief in the Supreme Court challenging some rules of the proposed military tribunals as unconstitutional. Yes, they're JAG defense lawyers, but as one of them put it, "I bear responsibilities to protect my client's rights, and as a naval officer to support and defend the U.S. Constitution . . . I think I do both here."

It reminds me of a John Adams quote that hang on my file cabinet in my office: "[O]ne of the best pieces of service I ever rendered for my country." He said that after representing British soldiers charged after the Boston Massacre.

Listen up Dick and Don - this means something!

No comments: