Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Album of the Day

Storia di un Minuto, by Premiata Forneria Marconi (1971): Day 3 and my CD collection is starting to hit its prog stride. I've worked through some of the first tentative albums from the prog giants. So what does it say that the first "desert island disc" in my collection is PFM's debut? Prog has always done well in Italy (that's where Genesis had their first success) and the country has produced the one of the most vibrant prog scenes outside of the UK. Storia di un Minuto is a classic from beginning to end, drawing heavily from the early British symphonic bands but adding an Italian feel and smatterings of jazz here and there. Now if I can only learn the killer Moog lead from "Impressioni di Settembre" (and find someway to read the Japanese liner notes for my version of the album).

No comments: